Sunday, August 24, 2008

I've been crazy busy lately. School starting, my daughter getting ready for Kindergarten, AND her 5th birthday yesterday...I'm exhausted. I decided to share this with you guys. It came from my old blog.

WHY I LOVE BEING A MOTHER
1. Nobody loves you like your child. She's only three years old, but I realize that my daughter is going to grow up. She's going to grow away from her mommy. She's not going to hug and kiss me all day, everyday forever. I can dig it. However, no matter how much time passes, no matter how many arguments transpire, no matter how many times you disagree NOBODY loves you like your child does. It has been a definite struggle for me to raise my daughter. Sure, I have plenty of help. Her father and his family, my family, and the few friends I trust. Regardless, my daughter loves me the same. She doesn't care if I'm stepping out of the house in Prada's and Chanel bags. She doesn't care if I'm driving a Benz. She loves me the same. Unconditionally. I woke up this morning in a bad mood. I've been going through alot lately, emotionally. Milani took one look at me (as soon as she opened her eyes) and said "Mom(yes,my little three year old baby calls me mom..ALREADY), what's wrong?" I am not the type of mother to involve my little one in grown folk's affairs. So, I replied "Nothing much babe, Mommy just doesn't feel too good." She goes, "Well, why Mom?" I say "Because a couple of things aren't going too well for me...but I'll be okay sweet." She said "It's okay Mommy, I love you and I'm your friend." THREE! My baby is only three.
2. Such a reflection of yourself. I can't count the amount of times my and her daddy's families have said "Honey, if that ain't you!!" I couldn't be prouder because my daughter is one of the most intelligent and well-behaved little girls I have ever known. (And I'm definitely not saying that because she's mine) We go out and people always notice how mature she is for her age. Maybe it's because she's an only child and doesn't have other children to cut up with, for the most part, except at school. OR, it could be because her momma ain't raisin' no fool! I prefer the latter. Me, personally? I don't see the resemblence in us as much as everyone else. I don't think she looks like me. Nor do I think she acts like me...because she is terribly shy. She gets that from her dad. However, my daughter does get a little silly at times...like her momma. We went to see Dreamgirls back in December and for the next 3 months all she wanted to do was perform "And I'm Telling You" and "Listen". Please believe baby girl knows all the words. When her, myself, and my ladies get together lil' miss mimi keeps us entertained. My friends can't do a damn thing but smile and say "Honey, she is JUST LIKE YOU!" And looking at her, I think to myself "Well shit....not bad. Not bad at all."
3. What greater reward is there? I don't know anything that can make me feel as good as my daughter telling me she loves me. Or feeling her little lips on my cheek, forehead, hand, lips, or wherever else she feels like kissing me. (Sometimes she likes to be crazy and kiss my arm or my leg.) Nothing feels better than her two little arms, that I MADE, wrapping around my neck, leg, or waist. What could be more rewarding than going to pick your child up from a hard day's work, or a rough day of classes, and having them run at you full force because they are THAT glad that you're there? Or the cutesy little art projects they make for you. This year was Milani's first year in school. For Mother's Day, her class threw a tea party for all the moms, grandmoms, Godmoms, etc. It was the cutest fuckin' thing. I can't believe I didn't cry my damn eyes out. They made us a flower pot complete with their own decorations. They even planted their own flower in there. They also made us our Mother's Day card. It was the best Mother's Day gift. It came from my baby girl and she put her little heart into it.
I make it my business everyday to tell my daughter how much I love her. I make it my business to see that she knows that even though her father and I aren't together anymore neither one of us love her any less. I make it my business to remind her how precious she is. And even at three, I make it my business to teach my daughter that she is more valuable than any material possession or any man who ever comes into my life. She is a diamond. I treat her that way.
Women raising daughters: Teach her to love and RESPECT herself. If she doesn't she'll never understand her value. Teach her to be strong. Teach her to keep pushing. Women have it terribly hard in this world. Make your daughter a survivor, a winner, a WOMAN. Make sure you teach her her worth. If not, your daughter will have hell to pay...at YOUR expense.
Women raising sons: Teach them to love themselves. A man can be tough. A man can be strong. But if he's not gentle as well, you're going to have problems. Show him how to treat women. Starting with you. Don't let any man belittle or abuse you. Especially not around your son. It makes all the difference.
To all the mothers out there, love your kids. Because they damn sure love you.

1 comment:

  1. booooo! you can't repost!!!! lol this is beautiful though:)

    ReplyDelete

what you think?