Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pretty Much Famous

Hey everybody. Shit has been pretty eventful here lately. Nothin' major...just everyday happenin's. The main thing on my mind right now is finding a grad school. I want to teach African American Lit on the college level. Basically, I'm trying to construct the best grad program to do that. I'm getting really excited about that.

But FIRST, I need to graduate. Suga definitely properly diagnosed me with SENIORITIS!!!! And it's teeeeeeerrrrrible ya'll. I can't bring myself to read anything or complete half of my assignments. I got about 7 weeks left to get it together and I know I can do it.

I don't know if any of ya'll have tried to tune in to my show. I haven't been on-air in about 2 weeks. Somebody got a damn virus on the computer...so, until further notice, all shows have been put on hold.

I'm almost finished reading The Secret Life of Bees. Pretty good book. The thing that keeps fuckin' with my head is that Rosaleen in the book seems much older, bigger, and overall more slave-like than J.Hud*. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm curious as to how they will play those roles...particularly J. Hud and Queen. AND, I can't wait to join in on the discussion with We Be Readin' Books...and Shit book club. (For info on that check out the Naked and Natural blog on the left)

And now for the big news:
Last night, I met one of my all-time FAVORITE authors....which is why I'm pretty much, almost, kinda, famous now! Well, ask me who it is. "Who's the author Honey?" Aight, aight, damn ya'll ain't gotta rush me!



WALTER DAMN MOSLEY!!!!! oK!!!! I love this man. He was so damn cool too, the shit was ridiculous. He talked to the audience about living "The Literary Life"...he was funny. He walked in the room, wearing his signature all black, and took my breath away. Only a true lover of the written word could possibly feel this way just from seeing an author. Most people, including my man, don't give a damn. I was so excited to tell him that I'd gotten the chance to talk to him for a few and take a picture with him....this Grammy winning, critically acclaimed crafter of words. This man who takes the problems of Black men and puts it into words so fluidly and vividly that even white women understand. I love Walter Mosley. And he loves me too...come on now, ya'll see him all up on me in the picture, LMAO!

This one older lady was clearly throwin' the pussy at him from all angles, lol!. I mean she got her book signed and gave him what I assumed was the smoldering eye. She laughed, throwing her head back...I presume this was so that she could elongate her neck and get her face out of the way of her breasts, which were one sneeze away from being on the table. The kicker, though, was when she jumped into the line next to the book-signing to BUY ANOTHER book. She got BACK in line and waited again until she got back to Mosley. This time she pulled the same flirtatious bullshit only to be pushed to the side when he declared that it was "time to take this picture with Honey". Heeeey. He know my name ya'll. LOL! I saw my old African American Lit professor there and made her take a pic with us too. She said I was embarrassing her...but I assured her it was ok ('cuz shit i'm famous too now). I'm so glad he came here. Obama was here last night too...but since I've already seen him I had to go check out the reading.

It sucks that none of my friends are into the type of reading that I'm into. I'm not knocking Girls in da Hood 1-14, but I enjoy real (in my eyes) literature. (When asked about "Urban Lit", Mosley said he couldn't be mad at anybody reading a book. And once they get bored with that they'd go looking for some more enriching material...just a matter of time.) I couldn't even brag to any of them who I'd met, talked to, and took a picture with. Because 1. they wouldn't know who he was and 2. they wouldn't care if they did. Wish I knew more people that were passionate about African American literature. Ah well.

21 comments:

  1. Excuse me while I take huge breaths inside of a paper bag!!!

    *falls out*

    Ok, I'm back. Girl, I definitely feel you. I dont know anybody my age who cares too much about meeting an author, no matter who the author is. It does suck not have someone to share the excitement with.

    But hey, you'll always have me hear to read about your encounters lol I'll be excited right along with you.

    lmao@ Girls in the Hood 1-14. At the bookstore, we make most of our profit from those books. Shocking, isnt it? At first it bothered me, but now I kinda have the same feeling that Mr. Mosley has. I can remember I time when similar sista girl books entertained me, but my interests matured, and I pray the same happens for those who cling to Zane and other hood centric novels out there.

    lmao@ the woman tryna swing from Mr. Mosley's peen. She definitely wasnt slick about it. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how did I forget to say that Mosley is on my list of top 10 authors? Where is my head. I would have surely passed out if ever given the chance to meet him.

    And you definitely expressed the same feelings that I had about "The Secret Life of Bees". Their choice of actors was strange but Sophie Okonedo killed it.

    If you see the movie, be prepared. I loved the book, but SEEING it on screen had me boo hooing...and I'm not a crier at all. Thats how touching it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to see bees. and FINALLY somebody who understands,lol. i feel the same about the urban lit. i useta love me some hood 'lit. then i took an african american lit course and it changed my life. i'd never known how much good, fulfilling literature it was out there written FUBU! nella larsen, bontemps, cullen, knight, HURSTON...i discovered Hurston in this class. i thank her everytime i talk to her because that class really changed my life. my shelf would do any lit lover proud. my collection of books is my most prized possession.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel. I almost cried when I met Alice Walker and Niki Giovanni.

    I fell out and died when I met Susan Taylor, that was the singular most amazing moment in my life. She is journalism and I absolutely love her.

    I am Rabiah, here by way of Suga.

    AND don't get laxed your last year, grad schools do pay attention to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you bestest, but i def cannot get down with the books like you do lol That was awesome that you got to meet one of your favorite authors though:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. rabiah, thank you for reading me :) and NIKKI, ALICE, AAAAAAAAAND SUSAN! oh hell naw! lol. susan taylor is a wonderful spirit and she IS, like you said, journalism. i've thought about driving to va tech andpop up in giovanni's office...just to say hi, lol. i may do that one day soon...is that crazy,lol?

    somi, i thought you were on your way...requesting books for christmas and shit, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl if I were you I'd saddle up, and gallop on over there. She wouldn't be opposed to meeting you. Call before you go so you know she's there. She was rather nice imo.

    Alice (when she was straight), used to date one of my professors a long time ago. They are still really great friends. So she came to the opening of a building in honor of Barbara Christian, who was a former professor who passed away.

    We brought Susan Taylor (I pushed hard for that one, lol) here for a conference. I've met Sonia Sanchez, too.

    Before I leave the Bay I do need to head over to met Angela Davis.

    I don't know how far you're willing to travel for grad school, but Berkeley does bring all of these writers on campus at some point (FREE). Most of them come through the African American Studies Department. One year we even had Octavia Butler but I didn't get a chance to meet her and you know she died.

    Talk to some of your professors, I am sure they know them and could hook you up. Black intellectuals seem to all know each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok you know what biah...just STOP. SANCHEZ TOO?!?!?! I would loooove to relocate to wherever I could get the best Afram Lit program, but I am terrified to uproot my daughter. It's really scary to think of us somewhere not close to VA with no support system. I think I will take that trip to see Ms. Giovanni...now I'm determined :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, I've met quite a few people being here. It's just kinda the way things go at Cal.

    Yeah, of course you do have to do what's best for your daughter. You will be away for a few years. There are other schools and like I said all those intellectual types tend to be close so it really doesn't matter where you go.

    Keep in their company and I am sure you'll not only meet, but get to know some of these people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And don't rule out moving. Explore it, apply, and then decide. The school might have programs or you might get enough grant money to work it all out.

    Don't close doors before they open. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to hear that you've met William Mosley. I like his writings. I just about like all writings by African American Authors. Some I can relate to. I can read some of the hood books and laugh because I had some friends that have tried the same shyt.

    I agree with Mr. Mosley though when he says, "I'm happy that they pick up a book". You got so many young people who do not read or can't read, so to read something that is going to pick up their interest is very exciting to me. Once you start reading one genre, you end up expanding your reading to more diverse authors.

    I'm going to check out the Secret Lives of Bees this weekend then go see the movie. Another suggested movie to see/book to read: Rosewood. I remembered when this movie came out. There are alot of people who never even heard of it but believe me, it's deep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've definitely seen rosewood...i think i own it. good movie. biah, you're right when you say don't close doors before they open for sure. i'm thinking about columbia...or something in north carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I meant Walter in my post...dayum William?? Who's that lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rosaleen in the book seems much older, bigger, and overall more slave-like than J.Hud*.

    Are you tryna get me fired reading your blog @ work? LOL I screamed when I read that line, but there is SO much truth in it. I prefer the book to the movie a hundred times over. Gina Prince-Bythewood is great at original screenplays, but she needs to let the adaptations rest.

    Also, I won't lie. I'm hella jealous you met Walter Mosley. I've never met any of my favorite authors. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. YOU'RE jealous? did you see the list biah laid out?!?! shitted on my lil' one night, lol. and for rosaleen i definitely pictured a loretta devine.
    and diamond...i know, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If anybody feels you, I feel you. Fortunately, we have about 3 weeks left in our semester. I'm rolling my eyes at books and shoving scholarly essays across desks. Hey. I feel you.

    One of my professors convinced me to apply for a MFA at another university. Sigh. Like you I'm interested in Af Am lit too and University of Indiana has a program that will apply me to combine my passion for fiction writing and black literature.

    Do you write? I'm adding your link to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Man. I hate saying that I'm an English major and then proving myself to be too damn lazy to proofread what I wrote. Sorry for the typos. I'm sure you get my point.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there!

    I just stopped by your blog to say hello since it's my first visit!

    Please feel welcome to drop by my spot and share your thoughts whenever you'd like to! *smiles*

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey naysue and lisa :) Naysue, that's how I found your blog in the first place. I was searching for a grad program in Afram Lit and you had written a blog on it. So, when I googled it, you popped up. Thanks for adding me :) And Lisa, you too...thanks for coming by and I'll be sure to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't seen Secret Lives of Bees. And I know it may be a bit unrelated; but it is strange seeing 'Michael' from The Wire singing in the commercial; and being a preppy kid on 90210.

    Anyway I, think that you just may like this article:

    She is Just Not That Into You

    Check me out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. kofi...that was funny as hell...and true. i pull aaaaaaallll them stunts, lol.

    ReplyDelete

what you think?