Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It's Been a Long Time

since I last posted. My daughter started Kindergarten yesterday. That girl acted a fool. She's been in school for the past two years, and last school year she took the bus. This experience, yesterday, was nothing new for me. I didn't cry at all...but damn if my daughter didn't cut UP! I mean she cried like she was being sent to Cuba. Drama Queen.

Classes have been going okay. All my instructors are on point. The material in one, and sometimes two, of the classes is so damn boring. But I won't be bored when I'm walkin' my ass across that stage in May so I just need to keep it together.

I told ya'll that I'm one of the new personalities on my college radio station. I just got my slot yesterday :) I'm on air Tuesday and Thursday from 1-2. Ow! Ow! I am too damn excited....but still nervous. This morning I went and sat in on another personality's show. It was a lot of fun and I got on the mic to let them know they need to look out for me soon. I think this is gonna be a lot of fun. Everybody at the station has been nothing but nice, so I look forward to working with the team.

I was at Walgreen's the other day and saw this license plate. I thought it was the shit.Do ya'll get it? A lot of people havejust said bein' black, payin' no attention the heart. The plate reads LOVE Bein' Black....and I know I do, lol.


Another picture I love is one of my daughter and grandfather. I took this at our family reunion.


I call it Bridging the Gap. A couple years back I took an African American History course. We had a project to research our lineage...15 page minimum. I never realized, until this point, how important it is to know your history. For example, I never knew that my maternal grandmother's grandfather was responsible for constructing the first school house for Black children in Surry County, Virginia. Nor did I know that my mother's grandfather was a full-blood Italian man by the name of Anthony Amato. He lived in Portland, Maine. There is a family restaurant there...an Italian joint called Amato's. One day I want to go, show my face, and see what I can see. I make it a point that my daughter knows her history. Starting with her parents, then her grandparents, and then her great-grandparents. She spends a lot of time with my grandparents. They adore her and the wisdom they can bestow is something she can't get from anywhere else. Have any of you ever traced your roots?

4 comments:

  1. Girl, i love me some history. Absolutely...thats why i ended up majoring in Black studies.

    On my maternal grandfathers side (the Creole side), they made knowing our history a seriously big deal. There is a website up and everything.

    We aren't so lucky on my maternal grandmothers side, which happens to be the side I'm closest too, but my mom and I went to this library in utah that houses the largest amount of census records in the world, and the farthest back we were able to trace was from a census taken when my great grandmother was a toddler...she lived n a town in TX with no name, so that makes it extremely difficult to go any farther back, but it still was amazing to see her name and my great great grandparents names on that little piece of paper.

    What kind of radio show will you have? What will you talk about? Current events? Relationships?

    It seems like fun. I'd love to be someone's side kick on the radio, running my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn suga. ya'll went all the way to utah? lol. that's deep. but it's nothing like truly knowing where and who you come from. my radio show is going to be more along the lines of a talk show. i'm going to be talking about everything that has anything to do with college students....geared toward black students. it'll be a little bit of hip-hop news and so forth. maybe discussions about politics. i'm gonna be all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah we went all the way to Utah. lol But it isnt that far from Cali..like a 90 min flight. And my uncle lives in salt lake city, so we visit every year anyway.

    Good luck on your show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never traced my family's background. I honestly took it for granted. All I know is what my parents have told me. It's such a shame. Between the two of them their is so much culture, knowledge and history. And I, being young and foolish could've cared less. All of my father's side is from New Orleans and until Katrina came I figured whatever he was tryna school me on would be around later. Some things just can't be replaced. With that being said, now when I do visit it I truly appreciate everything in a whole new light. My mother's side on the other hand is a whole 'nother ball park and a ocean away. Still tryna make my way back over there so I can conduct my own research. Don't put off tomorrow what you can do today, has never rang more true. Chicken nugget is blessed! Proud of you boo boo!

    *um I know you're an english major and all but uh bear with me, it is a lil late/early :)

    ReplyDelete

what you think?